The Dreaded First Trimester - Part 1

Saturday, January 24, 2015

As I mentioned in my last post, the first month was pretty much uneventful for me in terms of morning sickness.
The first three months of pregnancy make up the first trimester and are considered critical for pregnancy. The chances of miscarrying are highest during this time. Also, it is dreaded because of the morning sickness associated with it.
The hormonal levels in the body change drastically during this time and cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness etc. Aversion to previously loved food items, zero tolerance to smells can happen during this time.
Since I did not have any symptoms during first month, I was pretty cool. My mother and V's mom also did not experience any problems during both their pregnancies. I could relax even more now. Alas! It did not last long.
By week 9 of pregnancy I started experiencing mild nausea. I was prescribed Ondem and Doxinate by my Gynac. After taking a lot of opinions from various gynacs I have realised that Ondem shouldnt be taken regularly. It is a relatively new drug and long term side effects are not known. Doxinate is safe in that sense.
I also had my second USG which again confirmed a single live uterine pregnancy with a fetal pole. So a viable pregnancy was determined medically! Blood tests are also done to determine the blood sugar levels, thyroid hormone levels and Hb amongst other parameters.
The only medication I was on was Folinext - Folic Acid supplement which is very important during the first trimester. This is when the neural development of the fetus happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment