Where to deliver?!

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

To find a good doctor is very very important and I had this task ahead of me after coming back to Mom's place. The gynac I used to visit did not perform deliveries herself, so I had to rule out that option.

The usual criteria when searching for a good doctor as well as hospital or maternity home is:
1. Excellent doctor with good record (recommendations are preferred)
2. Feeling comfortable interacting with the doctor
3. Clean hospital with good record
4. Facilities for pediatric emergencies
5. Being close to home

And of course the budget would also be a factor. I looked up some threads on Baby Center forum, which helped.

A new term that you will come across is - Pro Normal Delivery. C-sections are very rampant, especially in India. They cost more and that is simple logic behind the increased numbers. At the point of delivery, no would-be-parents are in a state of mind to question the doctor.

I am not saying that this is being done everywhere, however, it does seem curious, how the number of C-sections have gone up drastically.

So, this is the reason for the new terminology. Some doctors still believe that normal delivery should be given first preference and do not suggest C-sections at the drop of the hat! So I wanted someone who fit in this category as well.

Surprisingly to me, I chose a male gynac, because he seemed nice and did not make me feel uncomfortable. The hospital has been recommended a lot and is functioning since 1950!

They provide good meals as well, besides other facilities for the mother and the new born. The doctor's brother is a pediatrician and they have a dedicated section for neo nate care.

One major point crossed off my list and it is such a huge relief!

If you are from Thane and need some details of hospitals, continue reading:

1. Nest Hospital - Dr. Ulka Natu. (Ice Factory - Naupada)
The best gynac I know. However, I ruled out since she does not perform the delivery herself. The administrator said they provide tea twice a day for the mother and everything else needs to be got by the family. She did not seem very pleasant either.
They have Dr. Bedekar on call for pediatric emergencies.

2. Dr. Geeta Vaidya (Opp. Telephone exchange, Naupada)
Vaidya hospital was also recommended by many friends. It was run by a couple - Pradeep and Geeta Vaidya. Dr. Pradeep was very well known and famous as a gynac. However, sadly he passed away recently.
Dr. Geeta seemed quite pleasant, and I did get my name registered there. I still wasnt very convinced, but needed some option.

3. Dr. Mahesh Bedekar (Gaondevi)
Established in 1950 by Dr. Vijay Bedekar, the hospital now has his sons - Mahesh & Anand. It has been recently renovated and the doctors stay in the same building as the hospital. This hospital fulfilled all the criteria I had when choosing a hospital and I did not bother looking anywhere else.
3 meals were provided to the mother, along with clothes for the mother and the baby, by the hospital. This doctor was also recommended as being pro-normal delivery.

Some other doctors which we had listed down but did not visit were:
Deodhar Hospital
Panandikar Hospital
Dr. Alka Godbole
Dr. Ashalatha Menon
Dr. Prasad Joshi - Ashwini Maternity & Nursing Home
  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing good information, find Best Gynecologist in Thane.

Nisha said...

Hi, I am 22 weeks pregnant and am lookinh for a doc in thane. Can you help me with charges at Bedekar Hospital
Nisha

Nisha said...

Hi, I am 22 weeks pregnant and am lookinh for a doc in thane. Can you help me with charges at Bedekar Hospital
Nisha

simz said...

Hi thanks for your review. I too am in your position and in my 7 th month shortlisting doctors and hospital. I visited Bedekar hospital and found them pro normal also for similar reviews from someone who had delivered there. But Bethany for me is closer to home and also thinking of visiting ashalata Menon . Any idea about her ?

Post a Comment